Chiropractic - An Adjustment In Your Game
Copyright (c) 2006 Tyler Powers
Chiropractic care is standard for many pro golfers. Professional
golfer Lori West attributes the reason she s playing today to chiropractic.
Nearly two decades ago, she began visiting a chiropractor for pain
in her shoulders and neck. According to West, the care has infinitely
improved her golf game.
According to Dr. Travis Ruda, chiropractor and golf enthusiast,
the golf swing in and of itself isn t conducive to having a healthy
back. To have a good swing you create tension in your spine. (this
enables you to get good distance). The tension comes from the hips
stopping and the shoulders continuing to rotate. Basically, you
make a coil. You re uncoiling when you start your downswing. Since
that s an awkward movement for your back, many golfers end up with
lower back problems.
Here s some chiropractic advice.
- Before your game, do some basic stretches. Stretch out hamstrings
and groin area.
- Put a club across your shoulders and lean left and right.
- Get in a position of where you would be in a swing and bend
left and right.
- Grab a club behind your back and raise it up, stretching your
- Grab the club backwards so if you normally swing right-handed,
you d grab it like you d be swinging left-handed- and take 10
practice swings that way. You re stretching different muscles
and it will help you loosen up considerably.
- You can do neck stretches if it s tight. Stiff neck muscles
inhibit the rest of the body from turning freely.
- Golfer s elbow is a painful condition in which your arm bone
becomes sore and tender. Chiropractors can adjust the over-rotated
Orthodic stabilizers for your shoes can help improve balance so
your swing is better.
- Anything that helps with flexibility eventually helps with
your game. As you get older, your swing naturally shortens since
the muscles aren t as supple. Flexibility is very important for
- You have to have good balance if you want to hit the golf ball
consistently. A healthy spine is paramount to proper balance and
posture. Improve your balance and you ll improve your consistency.
- During the winter, work on stretching the muscles of the arms,
shoulders and back.
Chiropractors care for your overall body structure, not just the
back. So if your muscles are feeling out of sync, chiropractic may
be the just the adjustment your body and game needs!
More Golf Resources
Perfect Golf Swing -
find out the secrets to the perfect golf swing
Fitness Training - Using advanced biomechanical golf specific fitness exercises
- Your resource guide to planning your golfing tour or golf vacation
Best Selling Golf Equipment