Standard DVD Player Reviews
To gain some insight into standard DVD players we reviewed the
DVD player reviews to provide you the summary ratings below.
Estimated price - $US40 with a rating of "Recommended"
A great basic DVD player, reviewing notes including:
- Installation and use are easy.
- Picture quality is "fine,"
- Boot-up is fast.
- No problems recognizing or playing any discs - can read DivX-encoded
videos authored on a PC (DivX is a compression format used when
saving large files to recordable CDs or DVDs).
- Lightweight, quality build, however the disc tray is rather
thin, making it more susceptible to breaking.
- Good image quality, given the price
- Easy to use.
Previously named by CNET as "the best basic DVD player".
That model has now been usurped by the Sony DVP-NS57P/S [est. $60]
- Can read commercial DVDs, audio CDs and MP3 files.
- Able to screen home movies burnt onto DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW discs
with a DVD burner
- Displays JPEG photo files burned onto discs.
- Sony claims the drive system "does a better job in compensating
for warped discs".
- Lacks of an S-video output.
Most user reviews were positive on the DVP-NS55P/S, although a
few users report units that failed to work or that suddenly stopped
reading discs a month or two into ownership.
Another 5-disc DVD player, available in black or silver at an estimated
cost of $125.
This DVD players is gaining good scores from user feedback, with
the biggest complaint regarding CD playback. The player's shuffle
mode is limited to a single CD, whereas you can set some players
to shuffle play among all five CDs. This is a big disappointment
for many who purchased this DVD player for CD playback as well as
Price - [est. $40]
A multi-disc player to cut down on the manual disc-swapping. Multi-disc
changers are also a good idea if you plan to use your DVD player
to listen to CDs. You can load five or six discs at a time.
- DivX playback capabilities like the Philips DVP3140/37, but
is compatible with fewer DVD and CD formats.
- Biggest issue reported is that the audio and video on DVDs are
sometimes out of sync.
[ 'S' and 'K' at the end of the model number denote silver and
black finishes] Estimated Price $125 .
A 5-disc DVD player with DVD/CD capabilities in addition to reading
MP3, WMA and JPEG files.
A great feature is its ability to continue playing one disc whilst
you change the other four.
- Great changer's fast-forward/reverse modes.
- Allows random play from all five loaded CDs.
- Good user comments about its sound, performance and low cost.
- Some complaints re its durability.
DVD Player Reviews | Standard
DVD Players | Denon | Helios
| OPPO | Panasonic
| Philips | Sony
Back To Top